Sunday, July 27, 2008

July 28, 2008

Detail from the picture below. It's another of my favorite things decorating our home.

This kimono was given to me by my mother-in-law. It was part of her hope chest, handmade by her mother more than 50 yrs ago! There were several kimono, a couple of hapi coats (small vests, really) several blankets (when Dan was a boy, I sent the never used pink one to Gary's cousin for her daughter). Our boys wore the less-fancy items, but I saved these as art. I just remembered Andy's much-beloved blanky came from that box! It started its life as a mint green flannel blanket with little red-hatted children. Now, the remnants of it are saved in a ziplok bag for 'someday.' When these came to me, they'd been in a box for 35 years. I love seeing them every day - such tangible gifts of love for children not even born when they were made.

This is the smaller of the two -- both ceremonial and somewhere, I'm sure, I'll find a picture of Gary in at least one of them as a tiny child. My mother in law, for all her organizational skills has boxes of unsorted pictures (who doesn't, tho?).

No comments: